I can’t stop drinking French wine.
Six months ago I made the decision to “brush up” on my Frenchy wine facts. Been a while since I needed to put a buyer in a comfort mode, and get them ready to accept European wines. That is the switch you need to turn on in your brain. YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THIS AND ENJOY IT AT THE SAME TIME. I have seen the shift in my friends that read this blog; they are risky now with wine, open to a different palette experience, and wanting information. I don’t buy a car without a review or knowing and liking the maker, so why is this different. By the way, I know nothing about cars.
This blog is not sponsored by my own wines; I went and purchased this lovely with my own dollars. I wanted chardonnay; I love the stuff. I was going to eat sushi, relax, and celebrate a friend’s birthday. I wanted light citrus flavors, roundness at the end, and structural acidity.
This Saint Veran, Domaine Delaye Alain, “Les Pierres Grises” got to me, and even more than that. A little review…
- Saint Veran is the area that this wine is from in Burgundy. Burgundy is a wine viticultural area in France. Saint Veran ONLY makes chardonnay – so what does that tell you. Focus! Focus on making the best damn chardonnay you can get.
- Who is this guy Alain? – Domaine Delaye Alain is the producer. Remember; the producer is the guy you are going to get hooked on. European wines are about the place, and the people who make them. This is a tiny little family estate going back to the 18th century. They are known in this area as authentic, traditional, with an eye on modernization. I’m looking for a man like this…
- “Les Pierres Grises” – the vineyard name. A little cooler of an area – Pouilly Fuisse is right around the corner and much warmer. This vineyard will give you richness, but retains a pretty minerality. This wine does not see oak, yet rounds itself out in the end. Brightness will give you some tingles, but the grape itself will supply weight to the palette and balance to the entire wine.
Where do you get this stuff – I picked up this bottle at Angelbeck’s in Upper Montclair. I grabbed it right out of the cold box; I love that. Ask for Ann; she bought this store a few years back and has some nice, out of the way selections. Her whole family is there including the sons – love that too.
- Angel beck’s Fine Wines Spirits, and Beer– 621 Valley Road, Upper Montclair, NJ
- Side note; if you are a beer freak GO HERE! Ann’s son is a wiz…
What should you have in your purse – Around $15 to $17 dollars. I think I paid $17. Saint Veran is always a bargain. Can’t go wrong; this viticultural area will always over deliver.
What do I do with it – Drink it on it’s own. A friend is looking for her “Get me out of my Sauvignon Blanc” rut. Here you go Mama G! I paired it with sashimi – but not to fatty. This wine is just enough to sing the solo.
One response to “Drink This! Frenching All Day”
Thank you and good night! This is so good. Picking it up this weekend!